FutureGrid Machine Access Information
- Get a machine from Headnode after login
- Open multiple command line windows
- Full hostname ready for Hadoop tutorial
1. Account Information
Please use the account and password from the received e-mail to connect our HeadNode. Your account should be trainXXX, where XXX is a unique number. In addition, please only ssh to the assigned HeadNode, or it may cause disconnected from our server.
An SSH client is required. Windows and UNIX users can download the PuTTY SSH client from http://puttyssh.org/. Following is a command to connect to HeadNode
ssh trainXXX@bigdata.[india / sierra].futuregrid.org
Once after login into the HeadNode (india or sierra), please enter this command to reserve a independent machine:
[train200@s1 ~]$ qsub -I
Then, it will shows the following message:
qsub: waiting for job 291733.s82 to start
qsub: job 291733.s82 ready
After the second line, "qsub: job 291733.s82 ready", shows up, the FutureGrid machine is ready to use.
Here, If only the first line "qsub: waiting for job 291733.s82 to start" appears, please wait at most 5 mins until the second line comes up.
Sometimes, it will be helpful if we open multiple command line when working on the hand-ons. First, you need to know your hostname:
[train200@s13 ~]$ hostname
Here, "s13" is the hostname of the assigned machine. Then, open a new ssh command line windows on the HeadNode (either s1 or i136) and use ssh command to connected to the assigned machine:
[train200@s1 ~]$ ssh s13
When working on the Hadoop tutorials, Exercise 4: Running WordCount on Cluster and Exercise 3: Running Hadoop-Blast in Distributed Hadoop, the public hostname of the FutureGrid machine must be known in order to finish the entire progress. Therefore, we present the instruction about getting the full public hostname here.
Under the assigned FutureGrid machine, enter "hostname" to get the short hostname:
[train200@s13 ~]$ hostname
As shown above, result is "s13", where 13 is the node number. Then combine this result with the following instruction to get a full public hostname:
For user login from bigdata.india.futuregrid.org:
- iXr.idp.iu.futuregrid.org where X is the node number. e.g. i140r.idp.iu.futuregrid.org
For user login from bigdata.sierra.futuregrid.org:
- sXr.idp.sdsc.futuregrid.org where X is the node number. e.g. s13r.idp.sdsc.futuregrid.org
Please mark down this public hostname in order to finish the Hadoop tutorials.
- Why can't I get a machine after submit "qsub -I"?
- The initialize time of getting a FutureGrid machine may be various due to connection issue, normally, it won't take longer than 5 mins.
- The only way to connect your assigned node from public domain is via the HeadNode you first login. Therefore, please first login to the HeadNode (india or sierra), then ssh to your work node.
- It depends on internal network traffic, normally, it won't take longer than 5 mins.
If you meet any problem, please feel free to ask in the back channel (on either Japper or Webex).